Thursday, May 25, 2017
Text Size


Applications for entitlement projects can be downloaded from the link below. Planning entitlements include Conditional Use Permits (CUPs), Planned Developments (PDs), Lot Line Adjustments (LLA), lot splits, subdivision maps, parcel maps, General Plan Amendments (GPAs), etc. If you have questions in regards to requirements for a specific planning entitlement, please contact the Planning Department and speak to a planner at (805) 461-5035.

Planning Applications are accepted through appointment only, Monday-Friday from 8:30-4:30pm.  Please call (805) 461-5035 to set up an appointment.


Fees for applications are due, in full, at the time of permit submital. Frequently the department is asked what is covered in the Planning Fees. Our fees cover Planning Staff's time to review and process an application, which typically include Staff's time to review a project against local, state and federal law, the composition of a staff report, and a public hearing. The more complicated the entitlement project, the higher the fee is. 


Our department handles a variety of property questions from the zoning of property, what can one do with their property, and other questions. Here is a Frequently Asked Questions and quick answers that may help you find the answer you need. If you still have questions please feel free to contact a Staff Planner at (805) 461-5035.


Q: What is my Zoning or General Plan Designation?

A: The Department is pleased to bring back property information via its GIS based mapping service. You can currently search for a property by typing in an address (typing in both address, city and state). You can also zoom into the map and click on parcel specific information. This does require a high-speed internet connection for best use. If you have a specific question in regards to a lot or a property, please contact a Staff Planner at (805) 461-5035.

Q: All my neighbors lots are smaller than mine, can I split my lot?

A: Generally speaking, most lots in Atascadero cannot be split at this time. Lot splits are dependent on the zone in which your property is in. The City has various minimum lot sizes throughout the City. If your lot is 1.6 acres in size, but the minimum lot size of your zone is 1 acre minimum, then you need at least 2 acres to split a lot, even if your neighbor's lots are smaller than 1 acre. If you have a specific question in regards to your lot or a property for sale, please contact a Staff Planner at (805) 461-5035.

Q: How many animals can I have on my property?

The maximum number of dogs or cats allowed on a property is three (3). Farm Animals are based on the amount of acreage on a property. Click this link to learn more about how many farm animals are allowed on your property. If you have specific property questions, please contact the Planning Department.

Q: What are my property setbacks?

Typical setbacks for a single family residence in a non-planned development (PUD) is 25-feet from the edge of right-of-way in the front yard; 5-feet on the sides, and 10-feet in the rear of the property. The edge of right-of-way may not be the edge of pavement. If you have a multi-family project or commercial project or want specific property setbacks please contact the Planning Department.

Q: How tall of a fence can I put up on my front yard / back yard?

The City has updated fencing requirements. Please contact the Planning Department.

Q: Can I find out if there is an easement on my property or I can I obtain a map of my property?

The City normally does not keep easement information or the official "recorded" plot map of your property. You may contact the San Luis Obispo County Recorder's Office for information in regards to easements and/or plot maps of your property or visit their website

Q: Can I Build a 2nd Unit or Granny Unit/Guest House on my property and what are the fees?

Yes, you can typically build a 2nd unit on your property if you meet the following criteria:

  • If your property is on city sewer
  • If your property is on septic and more then one(1) gross acre in size

The Planning Department has developed a handout for 2nd units as well as general fees associate with 2nd units. Please click here for that handout. If you have specific questions for 2nd units, please contact the Planning Department.

Q: I am interested in building a home on an empty lot, what are your fees?

Please click on the link for our new residence handout. If you have specific questions to fees and/or your proposed building site, please contact the Planning Department.

Q: There is an oak tree in my yard that I want to remove, do I need a permit for that?

Typically, single family homes with no open building permits or permits are going to be sought, that are zoned residential single family or residential suburban do not need a permit to remove an oak tree. The department has developed a handout for both residents and tree removal services for when you need a permit to remove a tree. Please click here for that handout.

Zoning Ordinance:

The City's rules and regulations are contained in the Municipal Code, Title 9, known as the Zoning Ordinance. These rules govern how, what, and where you can develop your property. The City attempts to keep this information as updated as possible. This information is current as of April 2014. Please click on the links provided below:

Title 9 Zoning Ordinance

Residential Uses Matrix

Non-Residential Uses Matrix (static PDF as of 7/01/2014)

Land Use Descriptions


Native Trees:

The City has been a member of Tree City USA for over 25 years. Below is some information in regards to our efforts to protect and replant native trees within the City.



The City of Atascadero supports environmentally friendly construction projects. For more information please visit


Login Form

Sign up for email notifications, submit online requests, edit contact info.