The Chipping Program is grant-funded by San Luis Obispo Fire Safe Council. If funding is secured, registration will be available on this page as of February 1, 2024, with the chipping contractor beginning chipping services on March 1, 2024. Registration is on a first come first serve basis and available during the open registration period only.
Atascadero Fire & Emergency Services would like to thank San Luis Obispo Fire Safe Council for their continued support by providing grant funding for this program. Thank you to those that participated in making strides to keep Atascadero safe.
Chipping Program Registration
The San Luis Obispo County Fire Safe Council has awarded Atascadero Fire & Emergency Services grant funds for hazardous fuel reduction for 2024. This program, referred to as chipping, will be offered to those properties in the Wildland Urban Interface fire area map within City limits. Registration begins on February 1, 2024, and chipping will begin on March 1, 2024. The City of Atascadero has contracted with Hansen Bro’s Custom Farming to complete chipping services and representatives will provide ID upon request. Please contact the Chipping Program Coordinator with any questions.
For more information regarding wildfire safety, backyard burning, weed abatement, and chipping, visit the Community Risk Reduction page.
Please review the following guidelines and complete the form below or call (805) 470-3300 to be registered for the chipping program.
Chipping Program Guidelines
It is very important to follow these program guidelines:
- Material to be chipped must be clean of hazardous waste.
- Material Not Allowed: Small twigs or blown down material, trash, rocks, metal, processed lumber, piles of leaves, vines, fruit / nut tree trimmings or POISON OAK.
- Note: All Chipped material will be left on property.
- Branches must all be stacked in uniform order facing the same direction and may not exceed,
- 4 inches in diameter. (see photos below)
- All material must be piled in an easily accessible area, adjacent to the roadway or driveway. Chipping vehicle will not leave the improved roadways/driveways to access piles.
- Crews will not drag material long distances or over fences.
Due to crew availability and scheduling, we cannot provide an exact date of when chipping crews will be in your area. All material must be piled along the property roadway or driveway no later than March 1, 2024.
Correctly Stacked Pile
Incorrectly Stacked Pile