Skip to main content

Development Review & Permits

Page Title

Page Title

All work within the City’s public right-of-way is administered and approved through encroachment permits to ensure appropriate use and to protect the integrity of roadways and pedestrian access.

Staff oversee construction and maintenance of various public utilities (AMWC, PG&E, So. Cal. Gas, Charter, AT&T, etc.) and other encroachments resulting from development and private party activities.

Our Engineering Division also oversees standards and specifications for construction in the right-of-way. These standards include plans, details, specifications, and other requirements for design and construction of the City’s public infrastructure, including streets, curbs, sidewalks, trails, sewers, traffic control, traffic signals, storm facilities, transit facilities, street lights, and more.

Encroachment Permits

The City of Atascadero requires contractors and utilities to obtain an Encroachment Permit for any work performed in the public right-of-way.

  • Download our Encroachment Permit Application and Submittal Checklist below or pick up a copy from City Hall.

    Encroachment Permit Application
    Encroachment Permit Submittal Checklist

  • Applications and all supplemental required materials can be emailed to or dropped off at City Hall.
  • It is recommended that applications are submitted at least 2 weeks in advance of the projected start date.
  • We will contact you once the application has been approved in order to schedule an appointment for permit signing and payment of permit fees.
  • We have a checklist available to help guide you through the required components of an Encroachment Permit application, including contractor’s insurance and licensing: Encroachment Permit Application Checklist.
  • If you have any questions regarding Encroachment Permits, please contact the Engineering Division at 805-470-3456.
  • Traffic Control Plans are required to be included with all Encroachment Permit applications. Contractors may choose to utilize plans from our City Standard Traffic Control Plans.
  • For more information about the right-of-way, please visit this page.
  • Permittees must call the Inspection hotline at 805-466-8099 as directed on the Encroachment Permit.

Public Improvement Plan (PIP) Application

Engineers within the City’s Public Works Department work closely with Planning staff to review proposed subdivisions and private developments. Public (off-site) improvements are reviewed and approved by Public Works.

Oversize/Overweight Transportation Permits

• The City of Atascadero requires a Transportation Permit for oversized or overweight loads that are transported on City streets.
• Oversize/Overweight Transportation Permit Applications and fees ($16 per one-direction trip) can be emailed to or dropped off at City Hall.
• It is recommended that transportation applications are submitted at least 2 business days in advance of the scheduled date of transport.

Oversized Load Permit Application

For information about other City Permits, please visit the Permit Center.