Skip to main content

Community Development

Page Title

Page Title

Photo of Historic City Hall
Photo of Historic City Hall

Community Development

Page Title

Page Title


Mission Statement:     
"Dedicated to enhancing, and preserving Atascadero's character and safety by helping people plan and build quality projects."   

The Community Development Department consists of Planning, Building, Economic Development and Central Reception. The department promotes development consistent with the goals and policies adopted in the General Plan, and supports the economic vitality of the City by coordinating the City's economic development activities. The Department administers the City's zoning and building regulations through the implementation of the General Plan, Zoning Code, and the California Building Code. Staff is dedicated to its mission and customer service. Planning and Building staff have prepared a guide for prospective new businesses to help navigate the planning and permitting process.

Appointments are required for all counter transactions. To schedule an Intake, please call the front desk at (805) 461-5000. Appointments are scheduled M-F 9-12 and 1-4.   



Department Staff


Can I build an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)/ second unit on my property?

The City recently adopted a new ADU ordinance that is consistent with State guidelines. For a quick overview, please see our ADU handout. For an estimate of fees associated with second units, please fill out a fee estimate form and return it to the Community Development Department.

View ADU Stock Plans.

If you have specific questions about second units, please contact the Planning Department at (805) 461-5035.

Can I split my lot?

Lot splits are dependent on the zone in which your property is located. The City has various minimum lot sizes throughout the City. For more information about lot split regulations, please visit the City's What Can I Do With My Property & Home page.

Can I find out if there is an easement on my property and/or obtain a map of my property?

The City normally does not keep easement information or the official "recorded" plot map of your property. You may contact the San Luis Obispo County Recorder's Office for information regarding easements and/or plot maps of your property.

For questions about utility easements, please contact the relevant utility company.