Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Page Title

Page Title

Welcome to the City's Frequently Asked Questions page where you can find answers to commonly inquired about topics. Explore the FAQ library below by keyword search or by filtering by department.

Is my street a City maintained street?

Down Arrow

Please use the interactive City Maintained & Non-Maintained Streets Map to determine whether or not you your street is maintained by the City.

For additional information, please visit our Streets Maintenance page.

My car was towed. How can I find out where it is?

Down Arrow

Call (805) 461-5051 at any time of day. You will need to provide the license plate number or VIN (vehicle identification number) of the towed vehicle. You will also need to provide the approximate time and location of where it was towed from.

My current home is in the Affordable Housing Program and I want to refinance. Where do I start?

Down Arrow

Please visit the City's Affordable Housing page.

My plans are in the review process, can I begin work?

Down Arrow

No. You must have an active permit with approved plans (if applicable) before work can begin.

Should I call the police if I see something suspicious or unusual in my neighborhood?

Down Arrow

Yes! Police frequently rely on tips from citizens to help them focus enforcement action in an area or on a person(s) that has been identified by citizens as being suspicious or unusual.

The inspector signed off the Final Inspection for my project, what do I do with my permit now?

Down Arrow

You are done! Keep the permit with the signatures for future record need.

There is an oak tree in my yard that I want to remove, do I need a permit for that?

Down Arrow

Typically, homes in single-family zoning districts with no open building permits or where permits are going to be sought, that are zoned residential single family or residential suburban do not need a permit to remove an oak tree.

What ages/grades is the Teen Center open to?

Down Arrow

The Teen Center is open to 6th through 12th graders. For more information about the Teen Center click here. For questions, please email or call (805) 470-3426.

What are my property setbacks?

Down Arrow

Typical setbacks for a single family residence (except those in a planned development (PD)) are 25-feet from the edge of right-of-way in the front yard; 5-feet on the sides, and 10-feet in the rear of the property or along the street side of a corner lot. However, these can vary with the size and location of a lot.

Please note, the edge of right-of-way may not be the edge of pavement.

For more information, see Atascadero Municipal Code, Setbacks 9-4.103.

If you have a multi-family project, commercial project, or want information on specific property setbacks please contact the Planning Department at (805) 461-5035.

What are the drop-in basketball hours at the Colony Park Community Center (CPCC)?

Down Arrow

Drop-in basketball is available at the Colony Park Community Center Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 12:00-2:00 pm. Dates are subject to change.

What are the hours of construction in the City of Atascadero?

Down Arrow

Construction is allowed between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Noise Ordinance Section 9-14.03 (c)), or as specified in any applicable conditions of approval or as approved by the Building Official for limited portions of a project.

What are the Property & Evidence hours of operation?

Down Arrow

The Police Property & Evidence Unit is open to the public M-Thu. from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please call (805) 461-5051 for more information.

What can I do about traffic safety problems in my neighborhood?

Down Arrow

If you are concerned about speeding, drivers running stop signs or parking problems, please contact the Traffic Unit by calling the Police Department at (805) 461-5051.

What days are youth basketball practices held on?

Down Arrow

Youth Basketball league practice times are set after the coach's meeting, late November, based on the coach and the team player availability.

What do I do if I believe my property or person has been wrongly damaged?

Down Arrow

The citizen may contact the Atascadero City Clerk’s Office at (805) 470-3400. Paperwork may be mailed to the citizen to file a claim against the City of Atascadero. The citizen will need to bring the completed paperwork to the City Clerk’s Office for filing.

Liability Claim Form

What do I do if I want to drain my swimming pool?

Down Arrow

Please contact the Stormwater Engineer at (805) 470-3462.

What hours are the City parks open?

Down Arrow

All City parks are open Sunrise to Sunset.

What information should I provide when calling the police to report an incident?

Down Arrow


If you are reporting an in-progress incident that is an emergency situation, call 911. The dispatcher will ask you for as much information as possible regarding the circumstances while simultaneously dispatching police and/or fire and medic units to the location. It is important to provide the dispatcher with an accurate account of what you saw, who the involved parties are (if that is known), what they are wearing, the last known direction and mode of travel, and if any weapons were seen. If the suspects are fleeing the area in a vehicle and you are able to provide the license plate number and a description of the vehicle that information can be particularly helpful to responding officers.


If you are reporting an incident that is a non-emergency situation please call (805) 461-5051. A dispatcher will take the information from you and dispatch officers to the location as soon as they become available. It is important to provide the dispatcher with a brief account of what occurred, a description or names of the involved parties, the address where the incident occurred, and the address where you would like the officer to meet with you if that location is different than the incident location.

What is an Advisory Measure?

Down Arrow

An Advisory Measure is a non-binding question on the ballot that determines and advises the governing body of voter attitudes on matters of concern.

What is my Zoning or General Plan Designation?

Down Arrow

Please visit our GIS based mapping service.

You can currently search for a property by typing in an address (typing in both address, city and state). You can also zoom into the map and click on parcel specific information.